Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Love is Messy


So tonight I got out and joined my two new friends Szymon & Carolyn at the movies. They've been really supportive since Court left. We saw the movie "Dan in Real Life", which is about a widowed father (played by Steve Carell) with 3 daughters trying to cope with.....well life! It turned out to be such an amazing movie about life, family, and love. On the surface most people would see this movie as a light-hearted romantic comedy, but I saw so much more in it. I saw life portrayed...real, actual life. Not the typical Hollywood fairytales we all watch and get engrained in our heads that that's what we're supposed to find....but real life...messy & confusing, the way it actually is. Hard, tiresome, unfair, but also beautiful in all the ways that really matters most...love, family, & relationships. The most profound line in the movie is fittingly presented as nothing more than a passing comment and easily overlooked by the audience...much the way it is in life. Three little words...."Love is messy."

Boy could that not hit the nail on the head better! It has especially resonated loudly in my life. I look at couples around me and always think their relationships with each other seem so simple and straightforward and almost easy compared to my experiences. The irony is that a lot of people that don't know me well enough might look at me and think the same thing. And how wrong they'd be! And how wrong I probably am thinking that about others...

The more I learn about life and especially about love...the messier and more confusing it gets. Not quite what I expected, but....what in life ever is. The last line of the movie in fact..."The most important thing to plan for in life? To be surprised!" is another profound truth that we often overlook. I guess lately I'm starting to realize some things about love and about myself. I'm starting to realize...actually no, I'm starting to ACCEPT that I am a scarred man...and I always will be. And that while I have my share of physical scars, it's the ones you can't see that are the deepest and have changed me the most. In part, each and every one of them have molded me into who I am today. And, as time goes on, I become more and more thankful for each and every one of those scars even the most agonizing ones. As I have often said, I don't love easily...but when I do, it's forever. And that....makes love even messier for me....

1 comment:

bycourt. said...

Yay for new posts!!!